This page is an English summary; please note that the official version is the Dutch one.
Welcome to Wiki Loves Monuments in the Netherlands! Wiki Loves Monuments is a photo contest for monuments. This page explains how you can participate with pictures taken of “monuments” in the Netherlands. You can upload the pictures from September 1st to 30th, 2013.
1) The pictures have to be your own work;
2) Only pictures released under a free license are eligible to participate. You can find the license information here:
Note that by releasing pictures under this license, they will be freely reusable on Wikimedia projects, and for others.
3) Only pictures which are uploaded during the month of September 2013 can participate. There are no other criteria necessary regarding when the picture was taken (e.g., you can use pictures from 1980);
4) All uploads have to contain the “monument number” (this is the unique identifier); (images can be from rijksmonumenten, municipality monuments and provincial monuments).
5) You need to have an e-mail adress activated on the account you use for uploading
1) Decide what you want to photograph
To make photographs of Dutch monuments and participate by uploading your photos to Wikimedia Commons, you need to find the monuments.
Click here to find out where Rijksmonuments are! (Google Map)
2) Take your photos
Tips for making good ones:
- Set the camera to the highest resolution.- Take more than one photo per rijksmonument. Later you can choose the best ones, or upload them all if they all came out well.
- Keep track of the rijksmonument numbers, you will need these identifiers when you upload. We recommend you make a list of numbers beforehand, though it is possible to look these numbers up afterwards. You can also use the special Google Map.
- If you make a detail photograph, such as photo of a tower or a doorway, make a photograph of the whole object also for the context.
Note: if you want to take photographs inside, ask permission first from the person in charge of the premises.
3) Upload your photographs
In order to participate in the contest, you need an account on Wikimedia Commons. You have never made an account on Wikimedia or Wikipedia before? Click here to make an account. Don’t forget to fill in a working email address, or we can’t contact you if win!
Step 1: Log on to Wikimedia Commons with this link.
Step 2: Go to the special “Wiki Loves Monuments” upload form for Rijksmonumenten. (or upload an image from a gemeentelijk monument). Using the “upload foto” links in the monument list is the easiest way to upload images, but this only works for monuments without an image yet.
Step 3: Select the photo(s) you want to upload
Step 4: Fill in the fields: filename (a short name for the photo) and the rijksmonument number.
Step 5: Click upload.
Do you have problems with uploading? Please ask for help on our helpdesk (link): press the “Stel uw vraag” button, questions can be asked in English.
There will be prizes for the best images, for the best images from monuments build after 1940 and for the user who uploaded images from the most different monuments.
The following qualities will be judged:
- Technical excellence of the photograph
- Originality of the setting
- Encyclopedic value for Wikipedia
The judges will be challenged to make trade-offs between the various criteria (a photograph that is highly original may be less useful for Wikipedia, for example).
The jury for 2013 consists of the following people: